*Update - this dessert was totally gorgeous*
__ Cranachan __
Double Cream, 4 tblspn Whiskey, 3 tblspn Honey, Oatmeal, Raspberries.
Shortbread: 6oz Plain flour, 2oz Caster Sugar & 4oz Butter. (one of the recipes included rice flour but I haven't any so its the basic plain shortbread recipe I've used :)
- Wash the raspberries in a colander. Drain & leave to dry. Pour a layer of medium oatmeal onto a baking tray, spread evenly then pop under a hot grill & watch until golden brown or into a low oven & leave for about 15 mins.
- Whip the double cream to almost fully whipped add very slowly the tablespoons of honey, one drizzle at a time. This is to ensure the equal fusion of the flavours. Once all honey is added continue to drizzle in the whiskey in the same slow process.
- Then in a serving dish layer half of the raspberries onto the bottom of the dish.
- Add the remaining raspberries, except for 5, gently to the flavoured whipped cream.
- Spoon the mixture over the raspberries, leaving the edge of the serving dish free.
- Add toasted oatmeal to the edges of the serving dish then sprinkle onto the flavoured cream & raspberries.
- Place the remaining 5 raspberries into the centre of the dessert.
- It is now Cranachan!!
- Served with some delicious homemade Scottish shortbread.
- As I made two batches of shortbread. One to serve with the Cranachan, one ended up being coated in chocolate for during the week to enjoy with our coffee. Mainly because the colour was more golden than I wanted. I had two recipes: one said heat oven to 180oC !!! Please don't it comes out too golden too quickly. I used 130oC & it cooked the shortbread perfectly.