Mmmmmmm I still love my Mam's cooking & baking. At 86 yrs old she's still such an inspiration. In the Summer her sweet scones were such a treat. Our neighbour used to go to Cornwall for their holidays & always brought us back a small tub of clotted cream, before we could open the seal Mam would make a batch of Scones. Here's her delicious recipe to emulate a traditional Cornish /Devonshire Tea. The result a light deliciously tasty scone.
1lb SR Four
4oz Caster Sugar
4 oz Butter
Clotted Cream or Whipping Cream
Jam or fruit compote
- Mix the flour & the sugar together
- Add the butter, cut with a knife
- Add the milk
- Roll onto a floured surface & cut into scones
- Place on greaseproof paper covered try
- Brush the top of the scones with beaten egg
- Place in pre heated oven for 15 mins
- Remove from oven, allow to cool.
To enjoy scones at their best, halve & spread some jam straight onto the scone. On top of the jam add a dollop of whipped or clotted cream. Mmmmmmmm tasty.
Mmmmmmmm absolutely delicious. Enjoy!!