This particular time we enjoyed a marinated ham simply served with one of my favourite accompaniments . . cauliflower cheese & a pile of green veggies :D Mmmmmmm so soooo good, hearty warming, sustaining & yes a little naughty but very nice. Great news too the supermarkets seem to be selling off their little gammon joints often 2 for the price of 1 so its hard not to indulge frequently :)
Unsmoked Gammon Joint
Marinating Cooking Flavours
Black Treacle, Maple Syrup
Cider, Apple Juice
(these are just a few I use (not all at the same time) of course you can add any flavours you prefer)
Melody of Greens: Green Beans, Runner Beans, Petit Pois, Leeks, Broad Beans etc etc
Cheese SaucePlain Flour
Strong /Mature Cheddar
English Mustard PowderPaprika
- Rinse ham in cold water.
- Place in container full of cold water & store over night. Change water a few times to remove excess salt (even unsmoked ham is too salty)
- Remove ham from water rinse again then add to large saucepan.
- Cover with cider, add spices & treacle
- Pop onto stove add lid & bring to the boil
- Allow to simmer for a couple of hours or after an hour remove from water & roast.
- I sometimes just leave mine in the marinade & serve when needed.
For the Cauli Cheese:
- Remove all of the outer leaves.
- Score a cross in the base of the cauli stalk
- Plunge into boiling salted water & cook for around 7 minutes.
- Remove from boiling water & rinse beneath cold water until cauli feels cold (this prevents it from further cooking & becoming too soft)
- Add large lump of butter into saucepan, melt down then add a handful of flour
- Gently stir in flour & cook it out over the heat til it bubbles
- Add little flows of milk to the flour & butter until all the milk is used & you have a lovely thick but pouring consistency to create the sauce
- Add a large pinch of English mustard
- Once you have a lovely creamy white sauce grate the cheese and add
- Keep stirring until the cheese melts into the sauce. Remove from heat to use .
- Place the whole cauli into a tureen, pour the cheese sauce over the cauli
- Sprinkle with paprika
- Place into a pre heated oven for around 45 mins
- Serve immediately with the gorgeous ham & a melody of greens
- Also remember the chutneys made in the Summer, well they're now ready to have with the remaining cheese as sandwiches :)
- In the Summer its great as a ploughman's lunch in our cold Winters the ham sarni is equally delicious with lentil soup, chutneys etc
Mmmmmmmm indulge & enjoy xxx