Cauldron's Collation

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Samosa

Every time we cook a curry, I forget about samosas, yet to taste a freshly cooked one, with light crispy pastry & flavoursome fillings is an absolute delight. Then I remember about them just as we're tucking into the chutneys, pickles & poppadoms when I really miss their presence. Not this time, I decided I would write a note in my curry pot, 'REMEMBER SAMOSAS' :) so I wouldn't forget. I planned enough time, so I could make samosas and onion bahjis to accompany our curry. Although I didn't, on this occasion,  make the filo pastry.
The result, very full & satisfied tummies ;)

 Ingredients 
Minced Beef ( only because I had some left over, but you could use any meat)
Potato
Red Pepper
Carrot
Red Onion
Garlic Bulbs
Garam Masala, Cumin, Coriander
Chilli
Tomato Puree

Filo Pastry (bought a box of filo sheets from the supermarket & popped them in the fridge)

 Method 
  • Wash Mince
  • Peel & dice potato into small cubes
  • Peel, de seed & dice red pepper into small cubes
  • Peel, slice & dice carrot into small cubes
  • Top, tail, & peel red onion, slice & dice into small cubes
  • Peel, crush , slice & dice garlic
  • Boil kettle then add the boiling water to a bowl, add pinch of salt then add  the cubed potatoes & blanch
  • Add drizzle of oil to a small cauldron, heat & add mince & garlic .
  • Once mince is browned add onions, stir & cook
  • Add the blanched potatoes, mix in
  • Add the remaining vegetables add some boiling stock 
  • Stir & leave to cook whilst preparing the filo sheets
  • Allow to cool once sheets are placed open ready for filling. 
As this was the first time I'd made samosas, I decided to make them the night before we were having the curry (we were also having friends around for dinner) so if they were a huge disaster I could just forget about them & enjoy our evening but if they were a huge success (ie they looked reasonable & edible) I'd simply freeze them then cook them fresh the following night. Unfortunately my camera battery ran out before I created the little triangular parcels so we have a 
( perhaps just as well as they were put together in quite a fashion of their own :)



  • Then I placed two - or three depending upon how well I wrapped - sheets of filo on the works surface
  • Using a table spoon I then placed a spoonful of filling in a corner of the sheet
  • Then I folded the pastry over the filling, turning & sealing the ends with milk.
  • I make the parcel into a triangular shape which is created naturally by turning the parcel over one way then another. Remember to seal as you go with a little milk on a pastry brush.
  • *at this point I popped mine into the freezer to cook the following night*
  • Add to shallow pan of hot oil, turn & cook continuously until brown & piping hot
  • Drain excess oil off by blotting into some kitchen roll
  • Serve immediately
*The following night  I removed the samosas from the freezer & cooked immediately 








  • Served them with natural yogurt, pickles, chutneys, poppadoms & onion bhaji's as our starter. They were absolutely yummy & quite an authentic flavoured  (I must get a camera that can be used at night :) Everyone enjoyed them.
Chutneys, Pickles & Yogurts 

No comments:

Post a Comment